There are 2 ways to go about this recipe.
- The plan ahead, make everything the night before so it can proberly rest in the fridge way
- Or the I don't have 4 hours to kill to make breakfast, decided to make pastry at the last minute way
1 hour, 30 minutes
1 hour, 42 minutes
The original recipe calls for almond paste. I decided that was waist of time and money as I had perfectly good sliced almonds on hand. I quick trip through the food processor and you have almond paste without the preservatives and additives.
The original also called for lots of time for the dough to refrigerate. 4 hours in the beginning, 30 minutes after rolling it out and 20 minutes to rise. Ain't nobody got time for that. We wouldn't be eating until 12 noon if I did all that. So I sped it up using the freezer.
Of coarse you could make everything the night before and just pop them in the oven. Time problem solved.
I'm also thinking you could make the dough a head and possibly freeze it for sudden bearclaw cravings.
These also freeze beautifully. Pop them in the microwave for 1 minute a 50% power and you have breakfast.
- Add butter (cut into 1/4 slices) and flour to your food processor. Using your food processor cut butter into the flour slightly. Do not over process.
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the cream, salt, eggs and sugar and stir.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula until the dry ingredients are moist. Do not over work.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 1 hour. (This dough can be made ahead and kept in the fridge for up to 4 days.)
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and dust top with flour. Press the dough out with your hands or a rolling pin.
- Roll the dough out to a 16x20 sheet.
- Fold the dough in on itself to make three layers.
- Turn dough and repeat.
- Put the dough in the fridge while you prep the filling.
- In your food processor, blend all the ingredients until a smooth paste is formed
- On a floured surface, roll out your dough to make a 16x18 rectangle and cut into 4 lengthwise strips.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of filling down the middle of each strip
- Roll each strip from the long side and place seam down.
- Lightly roll to flatten and seal edges.
- Cut each strip into 4 pieces.
- Cut 3-5 slits in the side of each piece for the "toes".
- Curve each piece slightly when placing on the cooking sheet.
- Let rise for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Brush with egg wash and top with sliced almonds
- Back for 10-12 minutes
- Let cool slightly
- Stir all ingredients until smooth.
- Spoon into a sandwich baggy.
- Cut of one corner and pipe onto pastries.